questions to ask your breeder
Apart from the obvious information request the questions below also serve to establish the breeder credibility
- Can I see the 5 generation pedigrees of the sire & the dam? (to verify that the parents etc. are in fact pedigree dogs)
- What food do you raise your puppies and juniors on?
- What food do you feed your adult dogs?
- May I see the puppies’ bite (overshot or undershot bite)
- May I see the dams/sires bite?
- Can I see the hip and elbow dysplasia and heart evaluation certificates for the dam and sire? (see Health)
- Can you please run the dam/sire for me? (movement should be free and easy if there are no conformational problems). If the dam and/or sire are shown it is a good idea to observe them in the ring.
- Do you supply a feeding chart and general care guide with the puppy?
- What age do you let the puppies go to their new homes? (see below)
- Which vaccinations would they have had? (one should expect inoculation against parvo, distemper and a “6 in 1” inoculation, but puppies would not yet have received rabies. Request sight of the inoculation booklet that you should receive if you buy the puppy)
- Do you take your dogs out to shows or public places? (this builds up the parent’s immune system that is transmitted to their offspring)
- Do you test your puppies for liver-shunt? (the puppy info pack should contain this if it has been done)
- What health problems has your kennel experienced? (a good breeder will be frank about past problems so be wary if the answer is “none”)